birding-aus

Ian May's leg flag message

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Ian May's leg flag message
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:18:08 +1100
" I do not in any way condone cruelty to birds but consider that the
conservation benefits of banding and flagging far outweigh the
inconvenience and possible occasional detriment to a bird."

I think that some of us would want to put our names to an alternative
statement along the lines of:

"The conservation benefits of banding and flagging are obvious, but
such activities should always be conducted without harm or
inconvenience to any individual bird."

Surely the respective ethics statements of the banding socities are
closer to the latter than the former, one would hope so.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra