birding-aus

Rimatara Lorikeet update

Subject: Rimatara Lorikeet update
From: Dean Ingwersen <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:56:27 +1100
Hi all,

Following on from discussions earlier on the Rimatara Lorikeet I've chased down the latest information from some colleagues in the Pacific (information below courtesy of Gerald McCormack).

Quote:
The latest reports are that one juvenile has been seen on Atiu. I also visited Mitiaro a few weeks ago and they definitely have four self-introduced birds from Atiu, and there is some information that they also have a juvenile. Of course, this does not surprise me at all - what else would you expect from moving a bird back on to an island where it was extirpated by hunting and hunting is no longer a threat. Rimatara and Atiu have the same food plants and nest trees.

The reason we put the bird back on Atiu is because the island is still free of Rattus rattus. Rattus rattus is already widespread on Mitiaro so we will monitor the population there to learn more about the interaction of this particular lorikeet and the Rattus rattus.
End quote

Good news.

Cheers, Dean