birding-aus

Re: RFI: PDA for birding?

Subject: Re: RFI: PDA for birding?
From: "Scott White" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:43:52 +0930
Hi Ian,

Sorry I can't recommend a particular model, as I haven't
kept up with the latest and greatest, but I can pass on a
little experience from the use of my PDA (O2 Atom Exec -
which is a phone/PDA, running windows mobile 5, no in-build
GPS).

I can't stress enough, pay particular attention to the type
and quality of LCD screen with any candidate models you may
have in mind. The LCD screen on my device relies solely on
the powered backlight for illumination, meaning in direct
sunlight I can't see a damned thing! Making it almost
useless outside, I really struggle to do even the simplest
of tasks like make a phone-call let alone read a database
for example.

A screen that implements a trans-reflective backlight
mechanism like most hand-held hiking GPS's would get around
this problem and make the screen very useable outside in
very bright conditions. Doing a quick google search suggests
there are PDA models now with such displays.

As Carl mentioned, Windows Mobile is not widely supported on
the Mac. I've just switched from Windows to Mac and can no
longer sync my calendar/contacts/etc.  There are a couple of
third party applications that aim to do this but support and
reliability are questionable from what I've seen.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers,
Scott White.