birding-aus

' Widget', Jack's Christmas Is /Cocos Is Report

To: "BirdAlert" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: ' Widget', Jack's Christmas Is /Cocos Is Report
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:34:27 +1000
Hi Folks,

Jack's trip report from our recent Christmas Is, Cocos Is and SW WA
expedition is available to read on  http://www.mywidebay.com/jack/
The file is about 4mb, so takes a minute or so to download....well worth the
wait though!

Although still only 11, Jack is well travelled and offers a terrific insight
into these incredible parts of Australia's External Territories. Thanks to Richard
Baxter for co-ordinating the logistics.

My main highlights included seeing well all the endemics....best on West Is of Cocos group, Pin-tailed Snipe and Saunder's Terns; On Christmas Is, the Chinese Pond Heron, Malayan/Japanese Night Heron (almost ran over it in the car!) but
how can you past the Christmas Island Hawk Owl....ahhhh. Richard has covered
the day to day sightings previously.

Every birder should aim to get over there at some stage. The deserted Cocos Islands and the quirky residents are a highlight in themselves....especially Geof! The NoddleBar at Flying Fish Cove , Christmas Is is extraordinary.......will dive next time also.

Back on the mainland, we used Frank's website recommendations and focused on
Dryandra....dipped on Western Shrike-Tit but saw pretty much everything else
there including Hooded Robins and a wild Numbat (surely the cutest mammal on
the planet!). Of course Cheyne Beach is brilliant. We stayed at the CVP which I'd
strongly recommend. Saw Noisy SCub-bird, Western Bristlebird and Western
Whipbird quite easily really.....some dodgy photos of all are in Jack's report.....We learn't the calls and followed them ....a bit of patience ,as usual, rewards. The trip rounded off nicely with 14 Rock Parrots at the Waterwheel near the Cape
Leeuwin Lighthouse.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Jack's other 3 trip reports from Sub-Antarctic, St Helen's and the Red-legged Crake
trip are also available on the same link above. Enjoy.