birding-aus

An odd "scrub bird"

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: An odd "scrub bird"
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:53:45 +1000
Being a hard core bushwalker, I made the most of the opportunity to spend Easter on the Ballow Rim [SEQ - NSW on the other side of the ridge in parts]. Arguably, the paired Mounts Barney and Ballow make up the best mountain complex [volcanic massif] with over a dozen named summits between them. Briefly, the route involved going up Barney Ck from the Upper Portals to Ballow Ck, then up a long viney ridge to Nothofagus Pk, along to Double Peak, down to Ballow Ck, and out via Cedar Pass.

There aren't a lot of birds to be seen while bushwalking in that area, but I had good views of a pair of Albert's on Junction Peak [~1300 metres]. Most of the lyrebirds I heard this weekend were "gronking" and I started "talking" to one calling near the summit. I saw one bird perched in a tree, then realised that there were two perched side by side [the first time I've seen that]. Alberts are very agile in trees - they run along branches and can bound up several branches in no time. For a large bird, they don't make a lot of noise when they move about - I was watching one on a branch about 20 metres away when noticed a branch swaying 8 metres away - the other bird was peering at me - it had crept up "under the cover" of it's mate's calling. Cute.

I also saw a small chocolate-coloured bird scurrying mouse-like along the floor of the nothofagus forest on Junction Peak. I didn't have binoculars with me at the time [I had wandered over to send a text message to a friend who hadn't taken up the offer to come on the walk], but I was close enough to have fair bare-eyed views. I noticed that it was dark-eyed, cock-tailed and it really zipped along a log. I could rule out the three scrub-wren species. Rufous Scrub Bird was the closest fit that I could think of, though I thought the tail was a bit shorter than I remembered [left the field guide at home and haven't seen one for a couple of years - been seeing bristlebirds and grasswrens instead]. I'm pretty sure the bird was checking me out, as I started "talking" to it when I first heard it call [not a loud territorial call]. The other interesting thing about the bird was that it was oscillating through a 70 degree V at one stage. There were no other birds about, so it was not part of a flock.

I would be interested if anyone has can make some informed speculations.

Regards, Laurie.

PS, I got a few shots of a dark brown 8 cm long frog this morning if any one is interested. It jumped close to two metres when I disturbed it.