birding-aus

Little Egret with yellow legs and feet

To: Mick Roderick <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Little Egret with yellow legs and feet
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
Mick, Mike et al.,

I am not sure if I just imagine ornamental plumes on the hindneck? If so, they
would already rule out Intermediate Egret and some other candidates. I also
think the long and slender bill wouldn't really fit to an Intermediate Egret.
In the field Intermediate looks to me always like a "hybrid between Great Egret
and Cattle Egret".
I also don't like the bill shape for the Indian Ocean form of Western Reef
Egret (schistacea). And the bird is definitely too elegant to be an Eastern
Reef Egret. I have no experience with Chinese Egret...

I think this bird does not really look bad for a juvenile Little Egret - even
of the Australian ssp. immaculata.

However, my reputation is that I like to confuse things! Here we go: Your bird
strongly reminds me of the infamous "Stanpit egret" described in an article by
Graham Armstrong in Birding World 1998. This bird - in direct comparison to
"normal" juv. Little Egrets - was never identified to species level!

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW