birding-aus

House Crow -fact NOT opinion

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: House Crow -fact NOT opinion
From: "Peter Marsh" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:13:20 +1100
Dear Birders,
The House Crow is remaining in the vicinity of Dee Why beach (Northern beaches
suburb of Sydney). It was seen on Tuesday afternoon quite around 5:10 but
departed a minute before I arrived! I went back this morning quite early and
the bird was eventually seen at about 9:30 by a number of birders.

There is a childs playground on the edge of the Dee Why Lagoon reserve at the
corner of Richmond Avenue and Clyde Road. The bird seems to be hanging around
tha area. It sits in deep cover a lot of the time but then will drop to the
ground searching for food. We also observed in moving around the trees in Clyde
Av and ivestigating rubbish bins in the flats opposite the playground.

It is quite an attractive bird with a jet black face and throat, a pale milk
chocolate collar and upper breast and a soft pale grey lower chest and belly.
It is considerably smaller that the Australian Ravens around and also a bit
smalller that the Magpies.

A group of us were hailed by a woman in a 4X4 as we peered through our bins at
the bird in a tree in the grounds of the playground demanding to know in
hostile tones "What did we think we were photographing?". It was politely
explained that she could get a tick right there but she seemed more interested
in political correctness! (I report only facts - I will leave it to the
armchair crew to make what they will of this observation)
Regards
Peter Marsh