birding-aus

Chiltern and Capertee in May?

To: "John Tongue" <>
Subject: Chiltern and Capertee in May?
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:08:05 +1100
Hi John,

Nice to see you're making a trip to the mainland! Chiltern's a great
place to go, especially in May! Have a look at my trip report site at
http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com/. It provides some basic information. Some
of the birds you'd hope to see include Regent Honeyeater, Painted HE,
Black-chined HE, Western Gerygone, Pink Robin, Swift Parrot, Painted
Button-quail, Turquoise Parrot, Square Tailed Kite, and Barking Owl.
Check Vic Birdline before going, and look at the archives for the
species mentioned above, see:
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=1.

There is also the Chiltern Bird Trails site at:
http://www.albury.net.au/~tim/chbird.htm. This is basically an awkward
reproduction of an excellent booklet available from information centre
in Chiltern. Email Beryl at the info centre and she'll send you a copy
at <>.

Also try and get a copy of Chris Tzaros's book 'Wildlife of the
Box-Ironbark Country', see: http://publish.csiro.au/nid/22/pid/4856.htm.
It's got some fantastic information on where to see birds (and mammals
etc) around Chiltern, the nearby excellent Warby Ranges (and many other
Box-Ironbark areas).

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby