birding-aus

AKA list

To: Carol Probets <>
Subject: AKA list
From: peter crow <>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:04:09 +1000
I took the original question to be for a list of accepted common names. i.e. Christidis and Boles 1994 with a few changes. I did not understand it to be a list of all names used. this would be an almost impossible task to compile as some names are very, very local and used by a very small group of the population.

I have just checked through a number of books (I don't have the MacDonald described by Carol) but the following all have alternate names and they don't always correspond.

The Great Australian Bird Finder, Michael Morcombe.
Pizzey Field Guides
Reader's Digest complete Book of Australian Birds
Cayley's Aust Parrots in Field and Aviary.

I'm sure their are many others.

While all these are interesting having a common "Common name" is far more important so we can all sing form the same Hymn Book.

The changes "suggested" by the new C& B will change some of this and if we don't defer to their advice we'll again be talking n different languages.

How is that lot for a mix of metaphors??

Back to the original. aAnumber so sites have a list of accepted names according to the pre Jan 2008 norm. One is the Birds Queensland site and I'm sure there are many others. I know of none with the post the new C&B list up yet.

Peter