birding-aus

Plains Wanderer plumage

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: Plains Wanderer plumage
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:43:05 +1100
Hi there,
Last weekend I took a French couple out for an evenings spotlighting for Plains
Wanderers and came across a bird which interested me.
We found 8 birds in total, a little better than usual, which included two
seperate "males" with young in tow.  The second of these birds was the one that
took my interest.
This individual was facing us and nestling two chicks under its feathers. It
clearly had the patterning of an adult female on its neck and breast, but the
colours and markings were very washed out, to the point where it was only just
noticeable. From a distance, at first look, I thought this bird could have been
a female, however after a closer look had to assume it was a male bird, since
it was tending to its young, and the bill colour fits a male also.

 I can't find any mention in Hanzab etc of male Plains Wanderers showing a
faint form of the female neck and breast markings.

I have a photo I can share for anyone interested, plus a photo of a newly
hatched chick ( a little fuzzy, and the photo  !! ).

Cheers,

Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,
Northern victoria.