birding-aus

Christidis & Boles 2

To: "Geoff Bowen" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Christidis & Boles 2
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:22:58 +1100
Eastern Great Egret - C & B state that Ardea alba as it stands is likely to consist of several species. Genetic and behavioural data indicates that Asian and Australian birds are distinct from birds in the rest of the world so were split as Ardea modesta Eastern Great Egret. The remaining birds are retained as one species Ardea alba at present but are likely to be split in the future when further work is done.

Eastern Osprey - Genetic data has indicated that three of the four subspecies of the Osprey Pandion haliaetus are distinct enough to have specific status. Australasian birds which extend to the Pacific Islands and Indonesia, become Pandion cristatus Eastern Osprey. North American and Caribbean birds have not been split.

I collected 10 blood samples from nestling Ospreys some years back and sent them to Germany where DNA testing was being carried out. When the papers were published on the genetic differences in the Osprey subspecies I was very happy that my small contribution had been a some value - until I realised that "the opposition" had beaten the researcher that I had supported to the post and my samples may have been of little use. Looks like I backed the wrong horse!!

Greg Clancy