birding-aus

Slaty Backed Gull

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Slaty Backed Gull
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:28:03 +1100
Allan Bension Rob Benson and I visited Cooktown on Saturday flying in via Skytrans from Cairns early in the morning and returning to cairns in the evening. (There are two flights each day except Sunday). We caught the minibus from Cooktown airport and were escorted to the last known spot for the bird. The airport / bus staff new all about it and were keen to show us the bird. It wasn't quite where they took us though. We bumped into Colin Judkins who had just seen it sitting one light pole next to the National Parks building on the waterfront about 50 metres upriver. It stayed there for quite a while allowing photographic opportunities before moving to where we were originally which was on the waterfront near the "Tree of Knowledge". Under this tree is its favoured lunching spot apparently feeding on chips with a couple of the local Silver Gulls. At lunch time we bought some fish and chips (recommended but tell them to hold the salt) and fed the waiting gulls (SBG included - it was waiting for the free feed!). This all occurred when the tide was high. Later in the day at low tide the SBG was way out on a mud bank further upstream and a scope was required.

The bird has some damage to its right foot, some of the web missing and a hole through some of it. It didn't seem to be suffering from this though. The underparts appeared to be oil contaminated too. The bird also appeared to pant at times, perhaps it was a bit warm for it.

There were 9 birders there all up, including some locals, with representatives from NSW, Victoria, South Australia and of course Queensland.

I had been to Cooktown once before with my parents Margaret and Greville Reidy (just prior to a fantastic trip to Torres Strait organised by Mike Carter) on the rumour of a large grey backed type gull there. We dipped on that one.

A great twitch and excellent work by all involved in the ID.

The bird should be there for a while. It won't die of starvation (maybe a poor diet though).

Happy twitching.

--
John Reidy
Sydney