birding-aus

Vagrant Gull

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Vagrant Gull
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:48:39 +1100
There have certainly been documented cases of trans-Atlantic vangrants
which have dropped dead after chased around by large numbers of
twitchers in the UK, and probably many more which died unrecorded as a
result of harrassment. I accept the point that most of these birds are
likely to have dropped dead anyway and all of them have zero chance of
ever making back to their correct geographical area anyway, still I
would not like to be part of the proximate cause of a vagrant's
decease.

I also accept the point that the majority of twitches are conducted
ethically, from a distance with telescopes, or in a non-harrassing
way. Still I don't see the point in burring up when unethical birding
practices are mentioned, when they can't be defended.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra