birding-aus

Vagrant Gull

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Vagrant Gull
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:20:27 +1000
HI Everyone,

If anyone wants to know the latest on the road conditions up to Cooktown, you
could ring me at Kingfisher Park on 07-4094-1263 as Keith & Lindsay have gone
away on holidays and I am here minding the Lodge .  As I am not on broadband, I
will not have my computer on all day so it would be quicker to ring for a
response.

There are two routes of access to Mt. Carbine and Cooktown from Cairns (apart
from flying) - one via the coast road north to Mossman and then up the range
and through Julatten and the other through Kuranda, Mareeba and Mt. Molloy.
The road through Julatten opened today but as of this evening there is still
water over the road so care is needed. This stretch of water starts just past
Kingfisher Park with 2 creek crossings between there and the  Cooktown turnoff
just north of Mt. Molloy on the northern side of Rifle Ck.

If coming through Mareeba,  the first part that may be closed is Granite Ck on
the northern side of the town where the water has been over the bridge.  Then
as you head north, there are quite a few areas with water over the road
especially around Lake Mitchell but they are navigable with care.  The water
was just under the bridge at Rifle Ck late this evening but it has also been
over this bridge.  It has not rained for most of today but looked very dark
late this evening especially around the Mt. Lewis area where it feeds into
Bushy Ck (Julatten) and the McLeod River north of Mt. Carbine where the water
was over the road during the day on Sunday.  All in all its a bit risky and
depends on the rain from hour to hour.

Apparently the Gull is still hale and hearty.  For further updates from
Cooktown, see Mike Carter's message for the local contact.

Jan