birding-aus

Flying foxes in Capertee Valley AND at Penrith

To: "storm" <>, <>
Subject: Flying foxes in Capertee Valley AND at Penrith
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:28:48 +1100
Hi Storm,

Wow! Yes, I wondering what they might be feeding on. In the Capertee I've been told a few of them were feeding on old grapevines at Goollooinboin. The only significant flowering in the Capertee Valley at the moment is Box Mistletoe - not sure if that's suitable for flying foxes. The Eucalyptus punctata and E. rossii could be flowering but I haven't particularly noticed them. However, given that flying foxes can apparently cover many kms each night, and bearing in mind that the Greater Blue Mountains contains over 90 species of eucalypt in many different micro-habitats, it's anyone's guess really. Red Bloodwood would be a possibility in the more eastern parts of the Blue Mountains.

Vicki Powys counted 2000 camping at Coco Creek. A landowner on Crown Station Road recently described the sky "turning black" with them at dusk. One suggestion is that the recent hailstorms on the NSW mid-north coast (around Taree-Wingham) which killed many flying foxes (both Grey-headed and Little) have destroyed their habitat and may be causing them to move into new areas. Anyone up that way care to comment? I'm not aware of them ever being in the Capertee Valley previously, though they might have been.

Sorry for the non-birding content, however it's kind of relevant to birds as they share similar nectar resources (and they're both fascinating creatures).

Cheers,
Carol