birding-aus

Bush stone curlew in Five Dock

Subject: Bush stone curlew in Five Dock
From: "Robyn Charlton" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:55:12 +1100
Yes the Companion Animal Act is very strict. However policing the thing, has always been the main down fall of it. I dare say there are many a Ranger who are continuely frustrated because people DO NOT take the roll of guardianship of companion animals seriously. The original grand plan when it was introduced was to have lifetime registration fees help with policing and education.

The biggest thing is of course education and changing peoples attitudes. Companion animals along with birds are victims of our anthropocentric ignorance and apathy and the inability to take responsibility for those who we are guardians. Approximately only 10% of Companion animal owners would be considered to be "A" class responsible animal owners. But then are people who can't care for kids properly either.

Maybe the 'Birding' community should undertake an extensive education programme nationally. Most people have NO IDEA about companion animals let alone bird life.

I grieve for the Bush Stone-Curlew.

Robyn

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Andrew Taylor <> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:34:54AM +1100, Paul Burcher wrote:
> It is illegal under the National parks & Wildlife Act to "harm" protected fauna in NSW see
> http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/npawa1974247/s98.html

Yes it its illegal to:

 "use any substance, animal, firearm, explosive, net, trap, hunting
 device or instrument or means whatever for the purpose of harming
 any such animal"

but if harming the Bush Stone-Curlew was not the owner's purpose
(intention) I don't think this act applies.  I certainly hope it doesn't
as I would be guilty of multiple offences - my daughter's cat regularly
kills Lampropholis skinks, protected fauna under the act, in our yard
[ I discourage this and owning a cat wasn't my choice].

The Companion Animals Act is suprisingly strict, given the political clout
of dog owners, imposing a fine of "if a dog rushes at, attacks, bites,
harasses or chases any person or animal (other than vermin), whether
or not any injury is caused ".  So the owner of the dog that killed the
Bush Stone-Curlew could be fined up to ~$1000 under this act.

Andrew