birding-aus

Kimberley Coast destruction planned.

To: <>, <>
Subject: Kimberley Coast destruction planned.
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:39:47 +1100
One of my other concerns is that if a LNG Plant is established on the Maret
Islands, there's a good chance that rats will scurry from cargo ships and
tankers that berth there, and colonise the island. As far as I can see from
a quick search on the internet, no mammals have been recorded on Maret
Island, but it is important for birds and reptiles. All the bird species
found on Maret Is either nest on or within a couple of metres of the ground.
Therefore, the introduction of rats could a catastrophic effect on bird and
reptile populations on the island.

This was one of the main concerns expressed by scientists and
conservationists when the Gorgon Project on Barrow Island (off the Pilbara
coastline) was announced. Despite this, the Gorgon Project is going ahead.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW