birding-aus

White-necked/Vanuatu Petrel ID

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: White-necked/Vanuatu Petrel ID
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:09:43 +1100
I reckon Inger Vandykes photos from Newcastle are White-necked, (bill size, tail shape and under-primary pattern). I also would agree that the photo by Alan McBride off Sydney in the Photographic Index, 'Seabirds of Australia, ventral view is a White-necked not Vanuatu but consider that the dorsal view by Peter Harper therein is neither. More likely it is a Cook's Petrel! Looking at these shots and my photo library, White-necks in Australia appear to have a considerable amount of black on under-primaries, much larger in area and more uniformly dark than shown in Onley & Scofield (O & S) for this species and typically more than illustrated in HANZAB (which is better) but NOT extending to whole area as shown in O & S for Vanuatu Petrel. Pattern in White-necked often appears like that of juvenile Shy Albatross where a panel of white embracing only some inner primaries extends into the dark tip not present in Salvin's Albatross. So I expect there is a difference between these species similar to that in Shy/Salvin's, real but subtle. And if they don't have the relatively well known White-necked illustration right I suppose I shouldn't have the confidence I've shown for Onley having it right for the hardly known Vanuatu Petrel. My view is that it is a White-necked unless proved otherwise as we do with Tahiti & Beck's Petrels. Making such an assumption may very occasionally be wrong but doesn't change our comprehension of status.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136

From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
To: "birding-aus" <>

Hi Greg, Tony and all interested pelagic Birding-Ausers,

This is certainly an interesting thread just commenced, (....what an earth
were the birds that I saw over the last 20 years on SE Queensland pelagics!)

If anyone has any useful publications (on or offline) that deal with this
issue I would l love to see them.

There are some images of the 'suspect' birds on
http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?action=birdspecies&fid=56&bid=686
and some awful video here
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=189871910922049629