birding-aus

NSW - Sea watch from Maroubra - 09.02.08 - White-necked Petrel?

To: "Tony Palliser" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: NSW - Sea watch from Maroubra - 09.02.08 - White-necked Petrel?
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:42:38 +1100
A question definitely worth asking, but there are differences. Vanuatu is 10% smaller with a more wedge-shaped and pointed tail but wing lengths are proportionately similar as are wing/tail ratios. Vanuatu has longer tail/bill and tail/tarsus ratios but this is of no help in the field. White-necked has wingspan similar to Wedge-tailed Shearwater but is shorter in overall length so both should look smaller, Vanuatu considerably so. Experience and closer views than obtainable from shore probably required to distinguish on more subtle features such as bill size, relatively smaller than White-necked, NOT LARGER as stated in Onley & Scofield. More importantly, I would be happy to call a bird that has white bases to under-primaries a White-necked Petrel but individuals appearing dusky in that region could be either species. I can't agree that Vanuatu is more likely. There are more Australian specimens of White-necked, they breed on Norfolk Is which is closer than Vanuatu, and world population is large and expanding whereas population of Vanuatu Petrel must be tiny if it still exists. Who was your source?

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136

From: "Tony Palliser" <>
To: "'Edwin Vella'" <>; "'Birding-aus'" <>

Edwin,
Clearly a fantastic sea-watch, but without wishing to appear "cocky" how
are you separating White-necked Petrel from Vanuatu Petrel now that the
two are split (following the 2008 Christidis & Boles taxonomy)?  I have
been informed by one source that Vanuatu is the more likely?
As much as it pains me, I have removed White-necked Petrel from my list
for the time being.
Cheers
Tony