birding-aus

4WD hire in Western Australia

To: Gemfyre <>, <>
Subject: 4WD hire in Western Australia
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 07:49:15 +0000
Dear Belinda, In the mid '90's we spent a week hemmed in at Cable Beach Resort
before deciding to escape up the Gibb River Road for the second week.  We hired
a Landcruiser in Broome and had no restrictions on taking it off road.  It was
some time ago but I think we used Australian 4WD Hire. I have copied the link
below.  The site highlights the fact that they allow renters to take their
vehicles off road and I could not find any caveats against this on the site.
http://www.australian4wdhire.com.au/Whether you need a Landcruiser or an
Outback depends on where you want to go. Whilst an Subaru Outback would have no
difficulty with getting up the Gibb River Road as far as Drysdale River Station
(assuming, as Robert has pointed out, you could find a hire company who would
let you on that road), if you wanted to get to Mitchell River Plateau for the
Black Grasswrens, you would definitely need something more than a 'soft roader'.

Hope this helps.  I'd be interested to know how you go because we are
considering revisiting Broome and the Kimberley in the September school hols.

Kind regards

Judith