birding-aus

Thanks RFI Victor Harbour & Neophema question

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Thanks RFI Victor Harbour & Neophema question
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:08:31 +1100
Thanks to all who responded to my RFI for hints on Victor Harbour. Just came
back from three days which was very relaxing. Did get to a few spots (Cox's
Scrub, Scott & Newland Head CPs, Goolwa) bu due to weather (windy or warm) and
family commitments (late starts) didn't see many of the subspecies I was after
but certainly saw some good habitat. Did luck onto Southern Emu-wren at Mt
Compass, though had to find them amongst the hundreds of Superb Fairy-wrens
there. Other good birds were heaps of Cape Barren Geese on Hindmarsh Island
(and a few near Wellington) which is one I haven't had views of for a while,
and good waders at Goolwa Barrage, including a Lesser Sand Plover (thanks again
if any of the birders with scopes are on this list).

One thing I did find extremely frustrating (again) was Neophemas. Had no luck
at Murray Mouth with Rock Parrots (Kangaroo Island is a hope in March) but did
see some in Newland Head CP. On the Ridgway track (where Dean Cutten
reccommended for Firetails and Heathwren) did get onrto small flocks. They were
pretty flighty (it was very windy) but the birds I did get views of were
juveniles (with no blue on the head at all). Going on wing markings and call
(though they didn't sound like any of the calls on the BOCA CD - generally a
brisk brrrt brrrt call in flight) I am assuming them to be Elegants. There were
also a few birds around the Waitapangi Beach area (behind the toilets) that I
got even worse views of. The habitat looked right for Rock Parrots (about 100m
from the ocean) but the views were all in flight and distant in salt haze so I
am not going to make a call on the species. Any comments on the likely species
in either area would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter
It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org