birding-aus

Eight Hundred! BUT ONLY JUST AS MY NUMBERS WERE WRONG!

To: <>, <>
Subject: Eight Hundred! BUT ONLY JUST AS MY NUMBERS WERE WRONG!
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:48:09 +1100
Russell Woodford said
Congratulations to Mike Carter for being the first person ever to see 800
bird species in Australia!

Thank you Russell and others that voiced similar sentiments. I have made it to 800 but not by the margin I said yesterday. I'm actually on 801 or 802 An hour on the phone with Bill Ramsay this morning who'd done a similar exercise on the new Checklist has uncovered an error of one. So I'll correct the numbers re the new Checklist and resend.

A word of warning for those doing similar analyses. Don't make the mistake of thinking that once a species is extinct it is always extinct! The 1994 checklist had 13 extinct species but the 2008 one has 14. This is not because we've lost another bird in that period. In fact we lost 2 but only on paper! These are the NZ Red-fronted (AKA Red-crowned) Parakeet that once existed on Macquarie Island has been split from the extant Tasman Parakeet of Norfolk Island and the NZ Fantail. The latter is because the population of Grey Fantail that once existed on Lord Howe Island is now split. So it's not that they've gone missing since 1994 it is just that they are now recognised to be distinct species not subspecies. So one might imagine that that should make it 15 not 14 extinct in the new Checklist! No, because it is now thought that the Tasman Booby from Lord Howe listed as extinct in the 1994 Checklist never really existed! It was identified as a distinct species erroneously from fossil remains!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136