birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] I am a dog owner - I am not the enemy
From: Bob Dawson <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:19:00 +1100
As a long time dog owner, I have in always tried to be responsible, not just
regarding wildlife, but in all respects regarding dog ownership. I hope I have
succeeded.

I do feel however that the dog licensing laws need changing. I don't believe
that dogs need to be licensed so much as that the dog owners need a license to
show that they are "FIT and PROPER PERSONS to be ALLOWED to own a dog"!

Bob> From: > To: ;
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] I am a dog owner - I am
not the enemy> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:05:59 +1100> > Hi Cheryl/All,> Good on
you for taking a stand when you find dogs illegally off-lead.> > There has been
some considerable discussion on this topic before which I> won't revisit - it
is in the archive.> Suffice to say - there is considerable evidence (though
also research saying> opposite) that the scent/spoor of dogs and other
predators (no doubt> ourselves included!) can discourage animals from an area.
This may> particularly impact on diversity - some animals may cope fine .> As I
wildlife photographer myself, I can't tell you my DELIGHT on occasions> to have
spent ages stalking an animal for a photo only to have some> inquisitive
off-lead dog 'help' (continuously) or come over just at the> crucial moment.>
There is also the matter of TURDS too. Many dog owners do the right thing in>
this regard, especially in 'natural' areas. This is another thrill for other>
people wishing to observe nature - often with long-term odoriferous (foul)>
reminders. There are no doubt impacts for wildlife AND plants from these> too.
I live on a popular dog-walking street. I have planted my naturestrip> but have
lost plants to excessive dog piss. Also the ones (dogs) who do the> 'token'
excrement burial routine, digging up plants!> > A few years ago I was involved
in a local council committee discussing> on/off lead areas for dogs. This ended
up with we, and council staff needing> security officers and police to protect
us from one of the dog owners. He> also took to stalking the chair of the
committee.> > I'd better stop before I really get started!!> > I TOO LIKE