birding-aus

RE:News story calling for cull or corellas

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RE:News story calling for cull or corellas
From: "Terry Bishop" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:17:20 +1100

Many of the Orange, NSW orchardist have given up using noise makers and netting.
The birds have got used to the hail cannons, shotgun blasts and  electronic
scarers. The larger bird rip holes in the nets. Many now feed the birds with the
groundfall in locations away from the main fruit. Early result seem to indicate
that this is saving many thousands of dollars on fruit going to the markets
rather than the juice factory. This is not feeding the bird extra or making them
dependent but relocating their feed areas during the growing season.