birding-aus

Help rquired to identify races of SootyOystercatchers: update No1.

To: <>
Subject: Help rquired to identify races of SootyOystercatchers: update No1.
From: " Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:45:50 +1100
G'day Robert,

I have been mulling over your pics for a couple of days and I have to say
they look a lot like opthalmicus, and identical to a bird photographed on
Lady Elliot Island by Tom Tarrant. When compared to birds from Broome your
birds have slightly les exposed bare skin around the eyes, but the colour of
the skin is identical ( yellow orange ) and they are nevertheless fleshy.
Can anyone provide an image of a bird from north Queensland for comparison.
Your Hastings Point birds look identical to the nominate fuliginosus birds I
am familiar with in Victoria with narrow red-orange eye-ring.

Cheers Jeff.