birding-aus

Brolgas at Ulmarra NSW

To: "alan morris" <>, <>
Subject: Brolgas at Ulmarra NSW
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:15:17 +1100
Hi Alan, Jade,

This concentration of Brolgas just north of Old Post Office Lane at Ulmarra is certainly gaining some attention. Every time I drive past someone has stopped to photograph them. I counted 39 on January 23 and 45+ on January 26. They are in corn stubble, a favourite feeding habitat (though not exactly natural). On the latter date Chris Hallam, a local grazier/farmer pulled over to have a chat. He is the owner of the land on which we recorded the Painted Snipe last year. He looked at the Brolgas with envy and said "I have just planted a big paddock of corn so these birds will be visiting my place in the future".

These numbers are the highest that I have recorded so close to Ulmarra. We often have up to 10 birds in the area. The largest numbers occur near Lawrence where I had 100 birds in one paddock some years ago. There is a pair at Trenayr, just north of Grafton, which appears to be the southern limit in the Clarence Valley at present. There is a pair at Station Creek in Yuraygir National Park and another at Corindi, N of Coffs Harbour and small numbers on the Macleay near Kempsey and possibly other Mid-north Coast sites.

Regards

Greg Clancy