birding-aus

Probable Lewin's Rail again at Mt St Joseph Pond, Altona, Vic

To: "Birding-Aus Aus" <>
Subject: Probable Lewin's Rail again at Mt St Joseph Pond, Altona, Vic
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:29:29 +1100
I saw what I assume could only have been the Lewin's Rail again this
morning, about 6.15am.  It was walking and running north along the far
east edge.  I could clearly see the reddish crown and the size looked
right, but I couldn't clearly see the barring.  Should I be able to at
70m with a 16x65 scope in early morning light?

It disappeared into what I call the north east arm, which is all mud at
the moment.  I could see it with binoculars by standing on the edge of
the railway embankment a little east of the viewing platform.

Does the subject of bird-watching near railway tracks come under ethical
birding or stupid birding?  Both probably, as it would be considered
trespassing despite there being no fence.  If anyone else is considering
this, be aware that on this single line trains can come from either
direction and that the bells of the nearby boom gates don't ring until
east bound train's have passed the pond.  I would imagine that if train
drivers see people close to the tracks someone will eventually be sent
to investigate.

I also saw a few Spotless Crakes.

Yesterday evening and last night I only saw Spotless Crakes and, as the
light faded, what I assume was a Latham's Snipe at the east end.

Peter Shute