birding-aus

Hobart - Tasmania

To: John Harris <>,
Subject: Hobart - Tasmania
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 04:23:23 -0800 (PST)
John,

My wife Raja and I spent a great week in Tasmania recently (January 1-7). We
were quite successful:
Black Swan
Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck
Chestnut Teal
Hoary-headed Grebe
Little Penguin
Short-tailed Shearwater
Australasian Gannet
Black-faced Cormorant
Great Cormorant
White-faced Heron
White-bellied Sea-Eagle
Swamp Harrier
Grey Goshawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Peregrine Falcon
Tasmanian Native-hen
Pied Oystercatcher
Sooty Oystercatcher
Masked Lapwing
Pacific Gull
Kelp Gull
Silver Gull
Crested Tern
Rock Dove
Spotted Turtle-Dove
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Musk Lorikeet
Green Rosella
Blue-winged Parrot
Orange-bellied Parrot
Ground Parrot
Pallid Cuckoo
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo
Laughing Kookaburra
Superb Fairy-wren
Southern Emu-wren
Spotted Pardalote
Forty-spotted Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
Tasmanian Scrubwren
Scrubtit
Striated Fieldwren
Brown Thornbill
Tasmanian Thornbill
Yellow Wattlebird
Little Wattlebird
Noisy Miner
Yellow-throated Honeyeater
Strong-billed Honeyeater
Black-headed Honeyeater
Crescent Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Scarlet Robin
Flame Robin
Pink Robin
Dusky Robin
Olive Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Grey Fantail
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Dusky Woodswallow
Grey Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Black Currawong
Grey Currawong
Forest Raven
Skylark
Richard's Pipit
House Sparrow
Beautiful Firetail
European Greenfinch
European Goldfinch
Welcome Swallow
Tree Martin
Silvereye
Bassian Thrush
Common Blackbird
Common Starling

Platypus
Short-beaked Echidna
Eastern Quoll (a total of nine!)
Tasmanian Devil (a total of seven!)
Common Wombat
Common Brushtail Possum
Common Ringtail Possum
Red-necked Wallaby
Tasmanian Pademelon
mouse spec
European Rabbit

(Plus Macleay's Swallowtail, several other butterflies as well as reptiles
which I haven't put in the list yet.)

However, we did not get great looks at 40-spotted Pardalote (only bad looks at
one from underneath) and we didn't see Swift Parrot, Tasmanian Masked Owl,
Tasmanian Southern Boobook, Swamp Quail and Spot-tailed Quoll at all.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW