birding-aus

White Ibis studies in Sydney Region

To: Greg & Val Clancy <>
Subject: White Ibis studies in Sydney Region
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:21:02 +1100
In 1950 White Ibis were rarely seen in West Aust south of the Kimberley but during the 1950's they started spreading south and now have rookeries well south of Perth. As a young bird watcher we never saw them in the SW of WA and even Straw-necked Ibis were not common in the SW except just South of Pinjarra.

Look out Melbourne - White Ibis are starting to inhabit Melbourne's parks. One has just recently taken up the Wurundjeri Walk as a daily home and must be competing with the two White-faced Herons who have just managed to make a living out of this small park over the last 20 years.

We have changed the face of Australia so much and global warming appears to be pushing birds further south as well that we can expect some changes - does not mean we have to accept them all - I guess.

Happy birding

Mike

Michael Tarburton

The ibis situation is certainly a complicated one.