birding-aus

feeding

Subject: feeding
From: "Robyn Charlton" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:44:12 +1100
Greetings all,

I've just spent the Christmas/New Year Season looking after a friends aviary
birds. The interesting thing is that of course the 'wild' birds were in for
a feed too. Feeding all the birds was an elaborate affair: the wild birds
accessing oats, honey and rice milk; bread; seed mix and any thing the
aviary birds dropped. The main wild birds that came in ( and the area is
south Lake Macquarie) were Rainbow Lorrikeets, Magpies, Noisy Miners, Indian
Mynahs Spotted Turtle- Doves, Crested Pigeons and a Grey Butcherbird. And
while it was delight to see many of the Natives come in, I can't help to
think that it isn't the best idea to 'feed the birds'. Magpies can become
very impatient for starters. Then there are nutrition and dependency issues.
Personally I prefer providing a ' natural' feeding habitat for them and
offer areas where water can be found.

Thoughts anyone?

Rob