birding-aus

Subantarctic Islands- The Snares, Auckland Island, Enderby Island

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Subantarctic Islands- The Snares, Auckland Island, Enderby Island
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:57:41 +1100
Hello all,

Just emailing to let people know that I've put the first instalment of my photos form the Subantarctic Trip with Heritage Expeditions in Nov- Dec 2007 (www.wildlifing.com). I've put up photos from The Snares, Auckland Island and Enderby Island (one of the Auckland Islands). Some of the birds seen included:

THE SNARES
Snares Penguin, Snares Fernbird, Snares Tomtit, Antarctic Tern, Snares Cape Petrels and a massive Hooker's Sea Lion that launched itself onto the rocks amongst a loafing bunch of greatly dismayed Penguins!
AUCKLAND ISLAND (main island)
Birds thin on the ground (and in the trees), but the scenery was beautiful. In this section I've put some seabird photos including a selection of Prion photos. Prions were one of the trouble spots as far as identifications were concerned. The ID's that I have on these photos have been suggested by others but I'm happy to accept other opinions.
ENDERBY ISLAND
One of the highlights of the trip. Life is simply exploding on this island- no doubt due to the removal of feral animals. Auckland Island Tomtit, Auckland Island Pipit, Red-crowned Parakeet, Auckland Island Dotterel, Auckland Island Shag, Auckland Island Teal (flightless) were all quite fearless of people. The island was amazingly green making for spectacular scenery. Other interesting birds included New Zealand Snipe, New Zealand Falcon and Yellow-eyed Penguins.

Cheers

Mick Todd

--

Michael Todd