birding-aus

Yellowlegs update plus Jaeger query

To: David Stowe <>
Subject: Yellowlegs update plus Jaeger query
From: John Graff <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 22:07:52 +1030
Could the dark birds have been dark morph birds? And to answer your question, I
doubt that your description is enough to conclusively call them Arctic, as
their plumages are very similar and Pomarines are still pretty agile when
harassing other birds, but I am happy to be corrected by anybody out there with
a greater knowledge of them (which is likely to be a fair few people).

Cheers
John Graff> We were staying with relatives in Tea Gardens (north side of Port >
Stephens 2 hours north of Sydney) and spent a while on Sunday > afternoon
watching Jaegers and Terns from Bennett's Beach (main surf > beach).> There
were at least 4 or 5 of them harassing Crested Terns within a > couple of
hundred metres of the shore.> 2 had white striking markings - black cap, white
underside and a dark > collar while another couple seemed to be juveniles with
a fairly even > brown colour. They did have white on the base of the primaries
on the > upperwing and some slightly paler areas of brown underneath.> They did
seem quite aerobatic when harassing the terns but also flew > steadily and
swiftly parallel to the beach not far above the water.> Would these
descriptions be enough to call them Arctic or could they > just as easily be
Pomarine Jaegers??> (This is the second time from 2 visits that i have seen
Jaegers here).> > Any help would be appreciated.> > Happy New Year!> > Dave>
===============================> www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com>
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in
the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to:
What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org