birding-aus

RE: Publishing conventions re bird-names.,

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RE: Publishing conventions re bird-names.,
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:56:50 +1030
There is some interesting discussion on this point on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BIRD

It also poses a few other questions, alright we agree that common names should
be capitalized but what to we do with alternative names?
My thought is that we should always use capitals, for both names not just the
first eg Little Eagle as opposed to the seemingly increasing use of Little
eagle. We have a published standard of Aust. bird names and should adhere to it
(soon to be updated upon the new release of Christidis & Boles).
We don't talk about birds being seen floating in botany bay or near the sydney
opera house or seen at the cricket at the mcg, so why treat animals differently.
So much confusion can be avoided, rather than looking back at someones
published records and trying to work out what all of these little, black,
brown, singing, masked or pied bush birds were.

Bob Green