birding-aus

Alberts Lyrebird Uralba Nature Reserve

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Alberts Lyrebird Uralba Nature Reserve
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:18:59 +1100
I went birding at Uralba Nature Reserve just out of Alstonville (northern
NSW) on 24 December, and I was very surprised to see an Alberts Lyrebird. On
returning home and reading the archives
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2004-06/msg001
34.html I was able to ascertain that this is a well known location.

The present southern limit of Albert's Lyrebirds appears to be the Blackwall

Range, just south of Ballina.  It runs roughly parallel to the coast and is

about 8 km inland.  The Uralba Nature Reserve, toward the northern end, has

Albert's, and they are in quite atypical habitat:  Eucalyptus forest with

Casuarinas and grass-trees in the under-storey.  Glen suggested that they

had been forced into this area by the clearing of The Big Scrub and have

managed to hang on.  I feel sure they'll still be there.  ("The Big Scrub"

was an extensive area of lowland rainforest, cleared for dairying pre-1900.

The type locality for M. alberti was within The Big Scrub.)

When I visited the same park on Christmas night, there was no sign (neither
aural nor visual) of a Sooty Owl previously reported by Peter Marsh.

If you are passing Alstonville/Ballina, Uralba NR is well worth a visit.

Cheers

Alastair