birding-aus

Blue-faced Beethoven and sacrificial pigeons

To: "'michael hunter'" <>, "'Scot Mcphee'" <>
Subject: Blue-faced Beethoven and sacrificial pigeons
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:21:52 +1100
I suspect the winemaker could be fined for harassing native wildlife. Given
that the WA Government issues fines of only $100 for harassing quokkas on
Rottnest Island (as we read on Birding-aus the other day), are fines for
harassing native wildlife in NSW as pitiful as this?

I wonder if the Blue-faced Honeyeaters were nesting or looking after
fledglings nearby and were disturbed by the music? I also wonder if
organisers of such events have to apply for a permit from an Animal Ethics
Committee, just like anyone else who interacts with animals for research or
educational purposes? Surely, entertainers would need to do the same thing
if their show interacts with or impacts on animals. Does anyone have any
info about this?

... just curious from a philosophical perspective.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW