birding-aus

Re: Are the Painted Snipe still at Cove Rd, Woodford, SEQld?

To: "Danny Rogers" <>, "Jill Dening" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Are the Painted Snipe still at Cove Rd, Woodford, SEQld?
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:19:00 +1000
Hi all

We (Robert D & I) visited the Painted Snipe a few weeks ago and were
successful in seeing 4 birds. While there we talked to the neighbour (on
the left when facing the pond in question) and he offered us access to a
wetland on his property in the river valley behind his house. We went in
and checked out Magpie Geese, Cotton Pygmy-geese and a selection of
other 'common' waterbirds including Latham's Snipe. If the PS have moved
- it may not be far. This wetland was much more extensive and quite
suitable for PS. I am not suggesting we all rock up and ask for access,
but if there is a serious concern, it may well be worth checking out by
a single visitor? The neighbour did add that the owner of the original
PS location is quite 'private' and does not converse with anyone even
him.
Cheers
Colin