birding-aus

Are the Painted Snipe still at Cove Rd, Woodford, SEQld?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Are the Painted Snipe still at Cove Rd, Woodford, SEQld?
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:38:47 +1000
Hi Everyone,

I was at the Cove Road site of Painted Snipe yesterday with friends, and despite four birders searching with two scopes for, I suppose, almost an hour, we didn't see the Painted Snipe. We thought we might have found them when we saw five lumps in the grass, but after much waiting, each time a lump surfaced, it turned out to be a Latham's Snipe.

There has been more rain in the district (no complaints, I assure you) and the water level in the dam now covers the spot (near the base of the single tree by the left hand fence) favoured previously by the Painted Snipe, leaving only vegetation stalks sticking out of the water. The dam is large and of course the snipe may have relocated, but I ask locals to check out the site and advise if you see the Painted Snipe. I know this is important to the Threatened Species people at BA.

Please be aware that the owners of the property are reported to be sick of people training their telescopes onto their property, and feel like fish in a fishbowl. They will certainly not allow you to go into the property. I am concerned in case they take action which may not be in the interests of the birds. I have no reason to assume this, but one wonders.

Cheers,

Jill