birding-aus

Quiet Snake Dreaming

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Quiet Snake Dreaming
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:38:18 +0930
My book Quiet Snake Dreaming is to be launched by the Administrator of the
NT tomorrow.  While autobiographical the book covers perspectives of
conservation and fauna held by my Indigenous relatives, the Kunwinjku of
western Arnhem Land.  Stories from the book are being used in literacy
projects run by Southern Cross University.

If any birding Aussers are interested in coming, please let me know today.

As I write I¹m watching a White-throated Honeyeater going through the
blossoms of a Swamp Mahogany, Lophostemon lactifluus.  Through the other
window is a flock of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins.  Sometimes a Yellow-rumped
Mannikin or two is among them.  On the rocks below my window, below the
Crinum that has just finished flowering is a Rainbow Skink, Carlia gracilis.
The pond was filled with the purple and yellow flower spikes of Monochoria
australasica before we got ducks.  Anyone want a duck?  They¹re gorgeous
Cayuga/Khaki Campbell crosses, but three are too many for our ponds.
Regards
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street
BAKEWELL NT 0832