birding-aus

Quails in Altona, Vic

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Quails in Altona, Vic
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:37:12 +1100
Hi Peter,

A platelet is something a button-quail (not a quail) makes while feeding -
it spins in a circle scratching leaf litter away as it moves, leaving a dish
shaped depression in the litter or even exposing soil in a circle.

As for your quail question, yes, you can occasionally get a good look at
quail without flushing them, but they're normally very cagey.  Brown Quail
are brown all over, even in flight.  Stubble Quail have white flanks and
strong streaking (and though brown should be subtly different in colour).
Button-Quail can be more challenging.  Red-chested has a dark head and nape
from behind, Red-backed has buff panels in the wings, and Little has white
flanks and is tiny (and often orange or red, though can be brown).  King
Quail is also tiny, males are easier to ID.  Painted Button-Quail is the
other chance, though they are more of a woodland bird.  They are mottled
with flecks of red and black breaking up the brown.  Those should cover any
even remotely possible quail and button-quail at an Altona wetland.

I'd say you had Brown Quail, since you didn't particularly note the white
flanks required for Stubble Quail.

Regards,
Chris