birding-aus

RE: REPOST DEC 2006 GPS Mapping for Birders RE: [Birding-Aus] GPS units

To: "Simon Mustoe" <>, <>
Subject: RE: REPOST DEC 2006 GPS Mapping for Birders RE: [Birding-Aus] GPS units
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:05:40 +1100
 wrote on Monday, 26 November 2007
10:29 AM:

> This is a REPOST from Dec 2006. Please, don't waste your
> money buying a GPS these days. Get yourself a PDA with a
> built in GPS - it's also your phone and everything else. If
> you want simple mapping software, use Oziexplorer. Amongst
> other things, I run all the Australian 1:250,000 scale maps
> on mine.   ___Hi,I've refrained from commenting on this
> thread until now but since it overlaps with another recent
> thread about bird and animal lists, I will do so now. For my
> part, I use a Bluetooth GPS with my PDA. Although my Ipaq has
> a built-in GPS, this drains batteries quickly. I use a BT338
> which boasts a battery life in excess of 9 hours continual
> use but 20+ hours on battery saver mode. It clips nearly to
> my binocular strap and from a warm start, gets a fix within a
> few seconds. More recently I have been toying with customised
> databases for storing wildlife records in the field. There is
> a fantastic piece of freeware called Cybertracker
> (http://www.cybertracker.co.za) which was developed for South
> African game researchers using EU funding. You just download
> it and register.

Having used a phone with GPS I would agree that it's handy having it
built in.  The result is that it's always with me.  I guess one dowside
of this is that if the battery goes flat you can't tell where you are
*or* call for help!

I doubt that this software would work on my phone - a Blackberry - not
much does.  It would be possible to write such software for it, but,
perhaps because they aren't as widespread as PalmOS and PocketPC devices
there just isn't as much around.  I consider myself lucky that I could
find even basic track logging software for it.

Peter Shute