birding-aus

GPS units

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: GPS units
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:49:48 +1100
Paul Dodd wrote:
I use a Garmin 60Cs handheld unit - bought it for about $250 from a seller
on eBay. A mate of mine bought the next model up, a Garmin 60CSx for about
$80 more.

I upgraded from an old Garmin GPS II+ to a GPSMAP 60CSx this year;
very nice unit if you want all the bells and whistles.  The cheaper
60Cx has the same features except for the altimeter/barometer and
compass sensors which aren't really necessary as GPS can be used to
determine altitude and direction (when moving.)

The eTrex series are very popular with a wide range of models to suit
all needs/budgets.

With these handheld units, whether Garmin or Magellan and presumably other
brands you need to have maps - if you want to see where you are on the unit
itself, which can be quite handy.

The City Navigator Australia maps are nice to have with auto-routing,
but as Paul says they are expensive (both initial cost, and upgrades
after the first six months), and not entirely accurate.  Unlike car
navigation systems, the 60CSx only beeps when approaching a turn;
it doesn't have the voice announcements.

I'll have to check out ShonkyMaps; sounds interesting. I notice that
Johnny Appleseed are now selling a set of topographic maps that are
supposed to work in conjunction with the street maps, but I haven't
tried them ($100 or so.)

Another set of free road/track maps (no auto-routing) is:
   http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/
(The server was down when I tried, so I can't confirm if these are
only for Garmin units or not.)