birding-aus

GPS units

To: "'Debbie Worland'" <>, <>
Subject: GPS units
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:45:06 +1100
Hi Debbie,

I use a Garmin 60Cs handheld unit - bought it for about $250 from a seller
on eBay. A mate of mine bought the next model up, a Garmin 60CSx for about
$80 more.

I specifically use the tracking feature so that I can record our movements
throughout a birding trip. I then use software back at home called RoboGEO
for attaching the latitude and longitude to the digital photos that we've
taken (a process known as geotagging, apparently).

With these handheld units, whether Garmin or Magellan and presumably other
brands you need to have maps - if you want to see where you are on the unit
itself, which can be quite handy. Unfortunately maps are generally expensive
(as much again as the price of the unit). However, I have come across a
really good set of Australian topographical maps called ShonkyMaps (funny
name, I know). These are available for free download from the Internet.
Please note, these handheld units DO NOT do turn by turn navigation (like an
in-car unit) unless you pay a LOT more for the turn-by-turn maps.

I usually use the waypoint feature to mark birding locations or sites of
interesting sightings. It is also useful to set a waypoint before heading
off by foot into the bush - the unit will always be able to tell you the way
back to your car, if you tend to get geographically confused.

I'm sure there are other devices, but mine works pretty well. The advantages
of the next model up (the 60Csx) are that it has mini-SD storage - that
means you can store a lot more data (maps and tracks) than on mine. I only
have room for detailed topographical maps of the state of Victoria (or a
portion of other states) plus about 4 days worth of tracks before the unit
fills up and I have to unload. With the 60Csx and a 1 or 2Gb card you'd
easily fit maps for the entire country plus several years worth of tracks!

Hope this helps.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Melbourne