birding-aus

Ruff and Pectoral Sandpiper at the Western Treatment Plant, Melbourne

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Ruff and Pectoral Sandpiper at the Western Treatment Plant, Melbourne
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:32:49 +1100
Hi all,

Just had a good morning at the WTP looking for the Ruff reported there
on Vic Birdline during the week.  I found it at the Conservation
Ponds, where it was associating with Whiskered Terns and Sharp-tailed
Sandpipers in the middle of the eastern lagoon.  Only my second view
of this species and wow does it stand out.  This one has yellow legs.

There was also a Pectoral Sandpiper by itself on the isthmus of land
sticking into Paradise Lagoon.  It spent most of its time hiding in a
ditch and was very difficult to get a good look at, but I was
eventually able to get a good look at the bill and undertail coverts.

Waders in general were in good numbers, particularly on the
Conservation Ponds and the mouth of the Little River.  A White-necked
Heron was a nice find on the road to Avalon Airport, near the Banded
Lapwings.  Also had male breeding plumaged Brown Songlarks giving
display flights in the area and a pair of White-winged Trillers was a
nice surprise.  The Pacific Golden Plovers were absent from Kirk
Point, and this could be because of the huge dump of rain and hail
over the WTP yesterday evening.

84 species seen in all, without particularly trying (was only really
there to look for waders).

Regards,
Chris