birding-aus

Little Llangothlin Lagoon

Subject: Little Llangothlin Lagoon
From: John Clifton-Everest <>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:02:42 +1000
On Friday I paid one of my regular (if not very frequent) visits to
Little Llangothlin Lagoon, the Ramsar site north of Guyra, NSW.  There
was a strong NW wind blowing, and a thunderstorm actually passed
through while we were there.  The water-level was very low. At first I
was dismayed to see so few ducks present on the estern side, just a
few Shoveler flying over the largely dried-up reeds. But before we
left, we made our way to the high ground on the South side and crept
down through the trees to look on the SE corner from above.  There we
found in excess of a thousand ducks, apparently sheltering from the
wind: Grey Teal, Shoveler, Black Duck, Wood Duck, Hardhead,
Blue-billed duck (many), Musk Duck (Quite a few) and, new to me at
this location, at least two Freckled Ducks. There may well have been
more of the last, for at any time a substantial part of the birds were
obscured behind lines of reeds.

Other species of interest:
Whiskered Tern (50+)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (30+)
Pacific Golden Plover
Royal Spoonbill
Australasian and Hoary-headed Grebes,
Swamp Harrier (3)
Black-shouldered Kite
Brown Falcon
Pallid Cuckoo
Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo
White-winged Triller
Flame Robin

A visit to Mother of Ducks Lagoon at Guyra on the way was quite
disappointing, as usual nowadays. est bird there was c.12 Glossy Ibis.