birding-aus

Calls and songs

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Calls and songs
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:09:28 +1000
And calls are innate, that is, even birds brought up in isolation from
any individuals of their species will develop them and use them. But
song has to be learnt, individuals raised in isolation from other
members of their species never learn to sing 'proper' songs, much as
children, if they don't learn to speak by the age of ten or so, never
do learn the full range of language.

Oh, and only passerines have song, non-passerines only have calls.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra