birding-aus

Unusual nests

To: "Peter Shute" <>, "Kurtis Lindsay" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Unusual nests
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:18:22 +1000
I believe they have been doing it for decades. A colleague, when I worked in
Cons. Dept, was studying it. The gulls were a big problem for many reasons.
Apart from fouling the rooves - at the time (early 1980's) I moved to
Melbourne (inner North) there was a big problem with poor landfill practices
and huge tips in outer North. Huge flocks of Silver Gulls roosted by the bay
(on rooves I believe) and flew north, across the flight paths to Tullamarine
and Essendon (then MUCH more active) Air Ports to and from the tips each
day. (Also Ibis, I can't remember where they roosted)
These tip gulls also foul any pond or other waterbody they wash the tip
debris off in.
Wendy