birding-aus

Re: Grey Wagtail, WA

To: "Arjan Brenkman" <>
Subject: Re: Grey Wagtail, WA
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:14:33 +0800

Arjan Brenkman asked about Grey Wagtails in Western Australia.

George Swann saw the first Grey Wagtail for WA on the Mitchell Plateau. About October or November 2001 or maybe 2002 from memory.

The "second" record was seen at the Broome Bird Observatory by Joy Tansey and others (including George Swann and Adrian Boyle) over 5 days in November 2003.

In November 2004, Adrian Boyle and others saw one on Adele Island north of Cape Leveque.

In early September 2006, a bird was seen at Lake Eda near Broome by the BBO and others over at least two days.

In late December 2006, a Grey Wagtail was seen along Crab Creek Road on the way to the BBO by Loyd Berry (a BBO assistant warden) but it was never relocated.

I seem to remember a record of a bird seen on the beach in front of the BBO. Perhaps it is your record Arjan, or maybe part of the November 2003 records, or maybe I was never sent the full details and so I did not include it in the Birds Australia WA unusual sightings.

So Arjan's record would be the 'second' (possibly even the earliest) record of Grey Wagtail for WA. Yes, it should be documented. It is worthy of a submission to BARC (see Tony Palliser's web site), but failing that it can be sent to me and I can pass it on to Ron Johnstone at the WA Museum for his records.