birding-aus

St Helens pelagics; schedule 2008.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: St Helens pelagics; schedule 2008.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:36:36 +1000
g'Day all

At present we have numerous bookings but still have vacancies on all trips. Confirmed dates for St Helens pelagics are;

May 2008    Thursday 15th, Friday 16th, Saturday 17th
June 2008    Thursday 19, Friday 20th, Saturday 21st
July 2008    Thursday 24th, Friday 25th, Saturday 26th.

Additional to the above, we are proposing trips on the following dates if we can obtain sufficient bookings to make the trip viable (minimum 8)

December 2007   Saturday 29th
April 2008   Saturday 26th
August 2008   Thursday 21st, Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd

We are also running an additional summer trip on Saturday 29th December 2007 and have several vacancies.

Our primarily objective will be searching for the 'gadflys", visiting pelagic bird hot spots including seamounts beyond the continental shelf where flocks often congregate taking advantage of food brought to the surface in upwelling currents around underwater structures and canyons; targeting the time of year when species diversity and sea conditions will be at their best.

I have been able to negotiate a special bird watchers deal with the boat operator. Cost is $100 each per day for the boat trip and we will be using the substantial ocean going charter vessel Nifty II. An added bonus for the May, June and July trips; the person who first locates and IDs the best bird seen for the three days (judged by the group leader) and seen by a majority onboard will be awarded a new copy of Albatrosses, Petrels and Shearwaters of the World (Princeton Field Guides) (Paperback) by Derek Onley

Let me know if you are interested in a trip or require advice with accommodation and travel. Also please pass this message to anyone else who might be interested as we need numbers.

Regards

Ian May
PO Box 110
St Helens, Tas. 7216