birding-aus

WA Trip report

Subject: WA Trip report
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:36:55 +1000
Just a very brief report on my trip to WA. Thanks to Belinda, Frank, John, David & Amy who responded to my request on subspecies. Didn't have much time away from Katanning (in the wheatbelt) with the forum, but did get to Stirling Ranges for a little while (wagged the Sunday morning session) and stopped briefly at Mt Dale east of Perth on the way back to the airport though WA Forests firebombing of Jarrah forests doesn't leave much suitable habitat for birds.

I was originally looking for two subspecies and 1 species (depending on your taxonomy) with the following results: Yellow-throated (Dusky) Miner - searched high and low without a skerrick of a miner showing, but eventually caught up with this fine bird in some sort of (planted?) Corymbia in Tambellup south of Katanning. Other miners seen further east of here (ie north of Stirling Ranges NP) looked much more like the subspecies that occurs further east. Mallee (Western) Whipbird - I missed this one last time and so had Frank O'Connors instructions all printed out for my trip to Stirling Ranges. Unfortuinately QANTAS lost my bag for two days, so I couldn't find the spot on the northern boundary (all looked pretty burnt) so I didn't have any luck. The spot near the Rangers house where I had heard them in 2001 had been burnt, so will have to have another trip to find this one. Little Grassbird - no luck, but didn't go to the suggested wetlands in Perth.

Notes on other species that might interest tother siders (ie non WAs) follow. Short-billed (Carnaby's) Black-cockatoo - 3 seen perched in roadside heath on Sth Formby Road (SRNP) Red-capped Parrot - 1 seen behind the Rangers house (SRNP) another at Mt Dale Western Rosella at a number of spots SRNP, but also common on roadsides (particularly where remnant vegetation remains)
Western Thornbills behind the Rangers house, SRNP and at Mount Dale
Western Wattlebird in gardens in Katanning and at Mt Dale
White-breasted Robin - a pair at Red Gum Pass walk was an unexpected surprise Laughing Turtle-dove - common in Katanning and also seen along the edge of the Highway in Perth
Elegant and Regent Parrots abundant (including in Katanning)
Once again I couldn't find Rufous Treecreeper at Stirling Ranges Retreat, and I had no luck with the local 'Red-winged' Fairy-wrens
A single (white) Cockatiel was seen flying around Katanning

Other possibles were a White-browed Babbler (flew across road), Singing HE (possibly heard near Katanning) and possible Purple-gaped HE at Stirling Range NP (seen them in the same area before but they were being extremely elusive)

Here is my full list (K) Katanning and environs (including Police Pools), (SR) Stirling Range NP. Most others were seen driving between these locations and Perth
Emu (SR)
Black Swan
Australian Shelduck (K)
Pink-eared Duck (K)
Wood Duck (K,SR)
P Black Duck (K)
Grey Teal (K)
Hardhead (K)
Hoary-headed Grebe (K)
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
White-faced Heron (K)
Nankeen Kestrel
Wedge-tailed Eagle (SR)
Eurasian Coot (K)
Black-winged Stilt (K)
Banded Lapwing
Rock Dove (K)
Laughing Turtle-dove (K)
Common Bronzewing (K)
Crested Pigeon (K)
Red-tailed Black-cockatoo
Short-billed Black-cockatoo (SR)
Galah (K)
Unidentified Corella (heard K, 1 seen on Perth outskirts looked like a Little)
Rainbow Lorikeet
Purple-crowned Lorikeet (K)
Red-capped Parrot (SR)
Australian Ringneck (K,SR)
Western Rosella (SR)
Elegant Parrot (K,SR)
Regent Parrot (K,SR)
Pallid Cuckoo (K)
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
Shining Bronze-cuckoo (K)
Laughing Kookaburra (K,SR)
Splendid Fairy-wren (SR)
Southern Emu-wren (SR)
Spotted Pardalote (SR)
Striated Pardalote (K,SR)
White-browed Scrubwren (K,SR)
Weebill (K,SR)
Western Gerygone (K,SR)
Inland Thornbill (SR)
Western Thornbill (SR)
Yellow-rumped Thornbill (K)
Yellow-throated Miner
Brown-headed Honeyeater (K)
White-naped Honeyeater (K,SR)
Western Wattlebird (K)
Red Wattlebird (K)
Brown Honeyeater (K)
New Holland Honeyeater (SR)
White-cheeked Honeyeater (K,SR)
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater (SR)
White-breasted Robin (SR)
Scarlet Robin (SR)
Red-capped Robin (K)
Varied Sittella (K)
Golden Whistler (SR)
Rufous Whistler (K)
Grey Shrike-thrush (K,SR)
Grey Fantail (K,SR)
Willie Wagtail (K)
Magpie-lark (K)
Restless Flycatcher (SR)
Grey Butcherbird (SR)
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie (K)
Grey Currawong (SR)
Black-faced Woodswallow
Dusky Woodswallow (SR)
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
White-winged Triller (SR)
Australian Raven (K,SR)
Welcome Swallow (K)
Tree Martin (SR)
Silvereye (K,SR)
Rufous Songlark (SR)
Mistletoebird (K)
Australian Pipit (K)

Cheers,
Peter

Advertisement: Justin Timberlake FutureSex/LoveShow. Tour & tix details here http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=809&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/justintimberlake