birding-aus

Palm Swifts steal feathers

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Palm Swifts steal feathers
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:55:30 +1000
Can't remember where I heard this, but I was just reminded today to share
this information.

A researcher researching Asian Palm Swifts found that in order to line their
nests with feathers they swop on passing birds and pluck footfulls of
feathers out. Apparently pairs have even been observed co-operating, with
one bird swooping the passing bird to distract it, while the other comes in
from another angle to snatch the feathers.

--
John Leonard
Canberra